Thanks to all the participants for making the First UCI Postdoctoral Scholar Symposium a success!
Congratulations to our prize winners:
First place: Jessica Cassidy – Neurology ($150)
Second place (tied): Anna Nelles – Physics and Astronomy ($50)
Second place (tied): George Stiubianu – Chemical Engineering ($50)
Audience choice Award:
George Stiubianu – Chemical Engineering
First place: Nik Hedde – Biomedical Engineering ($100)
Second place: Birendra Mishra – Medicine ($75)
Third place: Luciane Frolich – School of Humanities ($25)
If you did not have a chance to attend this year’s symposium, the next one is scheduled to take place in September 22 2017. In the mean time, keep an eye on this website or the Facebook page to keep updated.
UCI Postdoc Association is proud to launch the first UCI Postdoctoral Scholar Symposium as the culminating event of Postdoc Appreciation Week.
September 23, 2016
From 02.00 to 06.30 pm
Find location here.
All other attendees
should register here.
1:45pm Check In at UCI Innovation:The Cove
2:00-3:45pm Postdocs at the Forefront – Presentations by Postdoctoral Scholars (10 minutes each)
- Hunting for Neutrinos in Antarctica.
Anna Nelles, PhD – Physics and Astronomy- Steven Barwick, PhD.
- Optical Imaging and Ultrasonography to Characterize Changes in Skin Post Electrochemical Therapy Treatment.
Wesley Moy, PhD – Otolaryngology.
- Exploring Climate Change through UCI’s CHRS RainSphere.
Phu Nguyen, PhD – Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Predicting Post-Stroke Motor Recovery with Measurements of Brain Function and Structure.
Jessica Cassidy, DPT, PhD – Neurology.
- A Person-Centered Approach for Predicting 5th Grade Literacy Proficiency among Low-Income Children.
Robert Duncan, PhD – Education.
- Bio-Hybrid Systems and Devices for Applications in Energy Harvesting and Sensing.
Houman Yaghoubi, PhD – Chemistry.
- The Monkeyface Prickleback (C. violaceus) Genome: A Source for Understanding Biology in a Complex Environment.
Joseph Heras, PhD – Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- Community College Student Decision Making in the Wake of the Great Recession.
Melinda Petre, PhD – Education.
- Cephalopod Inspired Materials for Artificial Iridophores.
George Stiubianu, PhD – Chemical Engineering and Materials Science.
3:45pm “Career Pathways for Postdocs” – Dr. Frances Leslie, Vice Provost for Graduate Education, Dean of Graduate Division, Professor of Pharmacology and Anatomy & Neurobiology.
4:20-6:10pm Advancing Research & Creating Solutions– Postdoctoral Poster Sessions I and II, Happy Hour (food and drinks).
6:10pm Awards – Prizes for best Talks and Research Posters.
“TED Style” talk participants and titles can be downloaded here.
Poster Session participants and posters titles can be downloaded here.
Detailed information about talks and posters is posted here.
Questions: Mary Frances Ypma-Wong (email@example.com)
Contact: Mary Frances Ypma-Wong (Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Graduate Division) – firstname.lastname@example.org