Abstract Submission is Closed
For a downloadable PDF version of these rules, click here.
Submit your application to present your research in an 8 minute talk and/or at a poster session. Indicate your preferences when applying. Only postdoctoral scholars are eligible to present at the symposium; however, the entire UCI community is invited to attend.
Talks and posters will be selected for the symposium as follows:
- Interest of the research to a wide audience.
- Clarity of the abstract. Please create an abstract that is understandable to the general community. Avoid using highly technical language, abbreviations, and jargon specific to your field. Your abstract will be included in the final program book.
Prizes will be awarded for the best talks and posters.
- Describe the objectives and results of the research in the abstract
- Do not include illustrations with the abstract
- 2000 character limit (approximately 300-350 words)
- Poster abstracts will not be edited for content
- Avoid using special characters and symbols
Authors of top abstracts from a range of disciplines will be selected to give talks. The talks are 8 minutes in length with 2 minutes for questions. A warning will be given after 7 minutes. Talks should be understandable and interesting to the general academic audience. Postdocs selected for a talk may also create a poster and participate in the poster session.
- PowerPoint presentations must be formatted to widescreen, aspect ratio 16:9 (.jpg, .png, .pdf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx)
- Videos must be embedded into the presentation (.mp4, .wma, .mkv, .mov filetypes)
Postdocs selected for talks are required to attend one workshop led by Bri McWhorter (Activate to Captivate). If selected, you would choose either:
- Friday, September 22, 3:30 – 5:00 PM
- Monday, September 25, 9:00 – 10:30 AM
On The Day
Please arrive at The Cove at 1:45 PM to check your presentation is uploaded and working as expected. Mini display port, VGA, and HDMI are available if you provide your own laptop. The content will be forward to The Cove.
The maximum area for a poster is 4 ft x 4 ft (1.2 m x 1.2 m). It is suggested that a standard A0 poster (0.84 m x 1.2 m) be prepared.
Please remember this is for a general audience and posters will be judged according to clarity and interest.
On The Day
Please arrive at The Cove at 1:45 PM to put up your poster to allow maximum time for viewing and judging. Posters will be taken down at 7 PM.
There will be two sessions. Even numbers will stand at their posters and present during the first session while odd numbers will stand at their posters and present during the second session.